Learning about plants and gardening can help preschoolers develop an empathy for the environment. Gardening is also a fun, healthy activity that most preschoolers are likely to enjoy. This preschool thematic unit on plants and gardening will acquaint preschoolers with some plant and gardening basics.
When: 25 February 2019, Mon, 16:00-17:00
Teachers: Ashley, Lindsay
Categories: Gardening, Outdoor
The preschoolers will learn how plants need to be nurtured and how to tend to a garden. They will learn to recognize different gardening tools and implements. They will learn the importance of water, sunlight, and soil for plant growth. They will develop:
- Speaking skills by talking about what they have done or are doing.
- Reading skills by perusing picture books.
- Art skills by drawing pictures of plants and gardens.
- Math skills by sorting plants and non-plants, and counting number of plants, leaves, flowers, and flower petals.
- Plants, seedlings, seeds
- Gardening implements for children
- Flashcards of plants
- Photographs and vide os of gardens
- Photographs of garden creatures – butterflies, bees, birds, etc.
- Drawing paper
- Colors – water-color, pastels, pencils, markers
- Picture books on the plant and gardening theme